I am Jess Bachman. You can find out a lot about me from google.
There are three main themes to my life.
A self-taught Jess-of-all-trades designer, I learn by doing. I started designing posters for a friends band with a pirated version of Photoshop. Then I did posters for other bands, hundreds of them. Then data-viz posters and infographics, hundreds of them. They were kinda popular. After I helped Mint.com aquire millions of users I joined Visual.ly as Creative Director. I take pride in being really good at all flavors of design though I am most at home among the many layers of Photoshop (legal copy!).
Take a look at my design audits and dissections of other sites.
I have always had a passion to create, for creations sake. I started a business selling posters, then went on the Martha Stewart Show, sold thousands, and was published by Seth Godin. I also designed and run MajorCommand, a strategic online strategy game. I love all things marketing especially the intersection with design.
I’m 33 and have a bustling family with my wife Eva. Forest is 6, Fable is 3, and Gavin is 14 (uhg). It keeps me hopping for sure. How do I get everything done with such a busy family life? Don’t sleep of course!
- I’ve wrestled John Cena several times
- I enjoy shooting arrows.
- Never took a class or read a book about design
- Brother and father are veterans
- Was a best selling author for two days
- Have a hard time getting addicted to anything
- Acted with John Krasinksi and B.J. Novak
- Was a DJ/Turntablist and had a radio show
- Have lived in MA,TX,ME, VT, LA, and DC
- Had sushi and ice cream with Ben Cohen
- Was bailed out of jail by a Walt Disney VP
- Intern at a fake VC firm
- Never had a good haircut
- Always wears a hat
It’s best to email me. Jess at byjess.net. I am also on Twitter.